Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Virtual Tour for Dixie Wants an Allergy by Tori Corn: Q&A

Screen shot 2014-02-26 at 11.33.20 AM

18210841
It’s Dixie’s first day of school, and some of her classmates are sharing details about their various allergies. Bridget tells of her wheat allergy and how she gets to order a special meal from restaurants. Dixie thinks that must be a really special meal! And Charlie had to be rushed to the hospital in an ambulance once due to his dairy allergy. Dixie thinks that must have been thrilling! Even Hannah gets to wear a fashionable bracelet due to her peanut allergy. Dixie races home and begins to eagerly search for the slightest sign of an allergy. After many failed attempts, Dixie discovers that she is allergic to something after all. But is getting what you wish for actually as exciting as it once appeared?

Dixie Wants an Allergy provides a comical and engaging approach for children who are beginning to learn about and who are coping with allergies—and who also have trouble finding what makes them unique. Corn’s playful text and Cote’s inviting illustrations encourage children to accept those with differences while learning that wanting what others have is not always a good idea.


Q. What inspires your writing?

A. The experiences I have with my children and the memories from my own childhood inspire me the most. I’m also inspired by the natural world, especially the behavior of animals.

Displaying Tori Corn.jpg
READ TORI'S BIO HERE
Q. What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

A. There are so many things I love about being a writer, but if I had to pick one, it’s having the opportunity to make people laugh.

Q. What is the toughest part of being a writer?

A. It’s not easy for me to manage my time. Sometimes I procrastinate and I don’t write when I should.Sometimes I get into the flow, and I don’t want to stop writing when I have to tend to something or someone else.

Q. If you were not a writer, what would you be?

A. An interior designer (I used to be a textile designer).

Q. What would the story of your life be entitled?

A. Learn, Pray, Love

Q. What’s your favorite book?

A. I don’t havea favorite young adult or adult novel. There are just too many that I love.  My favorite picture book is Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes.  My favorite memoir is Wild, by Cheryl Strayed.

Q. Which character from your book are you most like?

A. There’s a part of me in all of my characters. Most of my protagonists are trying to succeed at something. They are like me in that they never give up.

Q. Which book would you love to take a weekend vacation inside of?

A. Pride and Prejudice. I’d like to wear a Regency gown and attend a ball at Pemberly. 

Q. What is your favorite season?

A. Definitely summer. Everything is alive then and the days are nice and long. I especially love the smells and sounds of summer:freshly cut grass, the sound of a lawn mower, the smell of fragrant flowers, and the sound of water lapping on the rocks.Also, I get cold very easily, so I’m happiest when it’s hot outside!  

Q. What is your favorite book cover?

A. Both covers are wonderful. I didn’t illustrate either one so I’d feel bad if I had to pick only one.

Q. Tell me something funny that happened while promoting your book.
(Ugh, sorry but nothing funny has happened!  I did have something really funny happen when I read What Will It Be, Penelope? toa group of second graders. I’ve included it in case you want to change the question.)

A. One day I was reading What Will It Be, Penelope? toa group of second graders and I asked the kids if they liked the dress that Penelope refused to wear (because she thought it was ugly). One boy blurted out that he liked the dress and that he would wear it!  

Q. Are you working on something new?

A. I’m always working on picture books and my historical fiction novel.


 Author Links below:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...