Monday, April 13, 2015

Showcase: All Balls Drop: The Upside of Losing Everything by Heidi Siefkas

22852929 WHEN ALL BALLS DROP
Heidi Siefkas was a happily married, globetrotting professional who seemingly had it all—until a tree limb in New York's Hudson River Valley struck her down, breaking her neck and leaving her unconscious. Suddenly, life as she knew it stopped. She lost her independence. She lost her career. She watched her marriage disintegrate as she confronted a trail of devastating lies about her husband's double life.
She had lost all that mattered, but she was a survivor. She fought to restore her health, repair her broken heart, and rebuild herself. Along the way, she gained clarity about her core values, ultimately coming to a deeper understanding of what it means to have it all.
Through down-to-earth, short vignettes, When All Balls Drop shows us how it's possible to look up in spite of pain, deceit, and loss. Heidi's memoir—rich with hope and humor—inspires anyone who's had to confront tragedy and reassess their life in the wake of life-altering events.

Heidi Siefkas






THE AUTHOR
Heidi Siefkas is an author and adventurer. Originally from small-town Wisconsin, she lives in Kauai and also calls the Midwest and South Florida home. Heidi is currently crafting a sequel to this memoir, embracing both her wanderlust and love of writing by documenting her many travels. You can connect with Heidi atwww.heidisiefkas.com, Facebook, and Twitter.






Q.  What inspires your writing?

A. My writing is non-fiction. I write of my real-life experiences. In my debut memoir, When All Balls Drop, I share my story of survival and life change. It follows me through a very special nine months where I recover from a broken neck, failed marriage, and career loss, all simultaneously. During that period, I found the upside to losing everything, which stems from the power of perspective. In the book, I share a mantra, Look Up, which helped me triumph through my full blown life catastrophe. I continue to use it to help with life's little hiccups like traffic in Honolulu, the TSA line at any airport, or rain on your wedding day. I encourage you to try it too.

Q.  What is your favorite thing about being an writer?

A. The ability to touch the hearts and minds outside of your own community. My first book has been read in Australia, Canada, Cuba, around the U.S., and more. I see my writing as a way to entertain, teach, and inspire others around the world. 

Q.  What is the toughest part of being an writer?

A. With my writing being about me, I have to feel comfortable about being intimate with complete strangers. Since the book is a memoir, criticism is difficult. With that said, releasing When All Balls Drop to the world remains the biggest accomplishment in my life. I know that I will feel the same way about its sequel.

Q.  If you could not be writer, what would you do/be?

A. I see myself as this already, a teacher. As a writer, you are sharing your stories, wisdom, and humor with the world and not in a classroom setting. A book is a classroom without walls.

Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?

A. When All Balls Drop: The Upside of Losing Everything is my debut memoir. Its sequel is due out in September called With New Eyes.

Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?

A. It changes. I love inspirational memoirs as well as travel adventures. I love Brain on Fire by Susannah Callahan as well as Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

Q.  Which character from ANY book are you most like?

A. I guess I would say I'm a quirky, sassy hybrid of Cheryl in Wild, Liz in Eat, Pray, Love, and Sarah from Lisa Genova's Left Neglected.

Q.  What character from all of your book are you most like?

A.Since my book is a memoir, I better choose me.

Q.  Which book would you love to take a weekend vacation inside of?

A. Any travel adventure book.

Q.  What do you want to be remembered for 100 years from now?

A.I would like to be remembered as an author and adventurer.

Q.  What is your favorite season?

A.I'm originally from Wisconsin, but now live in Hawaii. I love warm weather. I have to say summer.

Q.  What inspired your book cover(s)?  Or what is your favorite book cover and why?

A. My book cover for When All Balls Drop was designed by Yvonne Parks of Pear Creative. I gave her ideas and the summary of the book. We incorporated the balls because of the title and the fall leaves because of the crucial role a tree played in my book. 

Q.  Tell me something funny that happened while on a book tour or while promoting your book.

A. I traveled to Wisconsin for a book signing at the Pump House in La Crosse as well as to my hometown of Trempealeau at the Elmaro Vineyard. However, my plane was delayed in O'Hare. Ironically, the Packers and Vikings were on the TV. The bar was packed. I pulled out my book and placed it on the bar. I started to bookmark the vignettes I would read for the signings. The man next to me inquired about what I was reading. Immediately, he wanted to purchase a copy of my book. Another man behind him asked about the book. We sat and talked. He was also going to La Crosse. He attended my book signing that weekend at Elmaro. He bought a book too. From this experience, I always carry a copy of my book. I have sold books at coffee shops, the gym, and even to neighbors at my front door. I call myself a mobile bookstore.

Q.  Are you working on something new?

A. Yes, I'm polishing my sequel, With New Eyes. It will be released this September.

Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?
I would love for you to visit my website, www.heidisiefkas.com. By signing up for my newsletter, you will receive a 40-page free excerpt of When All Balls Drop. It will give you a taste of the sassy humor of my powerful story.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...