Wednesday, July 20, 2016

#MMBBR #Q&A with Mimi Marten

My Name Is Tiarra

Tiarra Simon comes from an impressive international family of diplomats. She now lives a comfortable and somewhat routine life as a soccer mom on the island of Maui. But that changes when she, and Reese Martinez, youth soccer coach, arrive to London for a meeting with Alexei Ibramovich, the powerful, intimidating, and rich owner of the Chelsea United Football Club. 


Trouble finding Blondie

Life experience taught Simona to be tough and self-reliant, but underneath she is more vulnerable than she likes to admit. Finally living in Paris, and hiding behind the ‘mysterious stranger’ facade, Simona has her perfect life. She has great familial support, fulfilling friendships, and an exciting job. That is until he walks back into her life, and with him comes trouble. 



Mimi Marten

I was born in former Czechoslovakia, behind the Iron Curtain, and under the Communist regime. I grew up with stories from grandparents who survived both World Wars. I was surrounded by boys, naturally turning into a rebellious tomboy. That trade carried me through life and everyone close to me knows not to dare me. 

I had been poor and I had been rich. I have lived in many countries; with every color and nationality imaginable. I was raised Christian, but I'm more spiritual than religious. I'm fascinated by the human body and the mind. Philosophy and psychology are my passions. Interestingly enough majority of my heroes are male. Somehow, tough, I keep writing about strong women. 

The older I get, the less I know. It must be wisdom. Keep in mind, I'm still just work in progress. I'm an organized freak, a minimalist, a passionate reader and an expert gourmet. I love life, travel, my two amazing boys, my partner and people in my tribe with the same vibe. I'm truly blessed. 


Q.  What inspires your writing?
A. I feel like I’m on my life #5. My inspiration definitely comes from my life experiences, all the continents I lived on and all the colorful cultures and people I’ve met. I loved and cried, I had people die in my arms, worked for the mafia, bribed customs officers in communist Czechoslovakia, flew on private jets with suitcases full of money tied to my wrist, I got married and had kids, then divorced. Now I am in love again. My life had been a real rollercoaster, and it never stops. 
Q.  What is your favorite thing about being an author?
A. To wake up every morning with the feeling of “I can’t wait to go to work.” :-) 
Q.  What is the toughest part of being an author?
A. As Hemingway said: “Writing at its best is a very lonely life.” Being motivated is a huge self-discipline part, but getting fired up with self-encouragement is not always easy. 
Q.  If you could not be author, what would you do/be?
A. I feel like I have already been many things. I had different careers almost every decade. This one is by far the most satisfying on spiritual level. My soul is the happiest. My life slowed down, but it also gained a lot in quality. 
Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?
A. Buckle up, there are no easy roads here.  
Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?
A. Gone with the Wind & Three Musketeers.  
Q.  Which character from ANY book are you most like?
A. Hmmm, not sure about that, but I would like to be as strong as Scarlett O’Hara, and as sweet as Melanie Hamilton. :-) 
Q.  What character from all of your books are you most like?
A. There are bits and pieces of me in all my characters. But Simona in Trouble finding Blondie and Tiarra in My Name Is Tiarra are obviously better versions of myself.  
Q.  Which of your books was the hardest for you to write?
A. The first one. I think the debut is the hardest. Invariably you are writing your life story, in one way or the other. It’s not easy to open up old wounds and invite other people into your life. 
Q.  Which of your books was the easiest to write?
A. The series I’m writing now. She is a goodie-goodie with a very shady past…  
Q.  When reading your books I am always moved by the strong female relationships you create, are they based on relationship experiences you have had?
A. Absolutely. I take experiences I’ve been through and they inspire the stories I write.  
Q.  What is your favorite season?
A. Fall. The changing colors are my favorite part. Living on Maui, I miss the four seasons very much. 
Q.  Tell me something funny that happened while on a book tour or while promoting your books.
A. Funny… not sure about that. But interesting, definitely. I find that a lot of women who read my books find themselves wishing they were as strong as my main character. I feel that I give hope and inspiration to a lot of my readers. The feedback I get a lot is that they strive to become better in their everyday life. 
Q.  Are you working on something new?
A. My second book in the second series is now in the editing process. I am writing the third book in that series right now. The second should be published in July-August. 
Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?
A.  I love to entertain people and make them smile. I arrived at the privileged age of forties, and I’m loving it. Forties are all about using your life experiences to practice the wisdom. It’s also a lot easier to tell people to bugger off… When you know who you are, you don’t have to compromise as much. I finally know what I want from life, who I want to be and whom I want to have in my life to be part of the journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...